Monday, December 6, 2010

2. Twitterfic


Having never ‘tweeted’ before, I had no idea how hard it would be to write a Twitterfic story. As one of the newest known subgenres of the Short Fiction genre, Twitterfic stories must fit within one Twitter post, being fewer than 140 characters. Twitterfic stories characteristically have a twist ending, but this is not always the case. 

An example found on the Twitterfiction twitter page: 
"He knew it. Sensed it. A dreadful feeling shot up to his mind just a moment before she spoke. It was over. Her husband knew. He had to hide." 

My own attempts: 

“As hard as she tried she couldn’t forget his smell or the way his lips met hers. Yet now he was dead and she had naught but these memories."

“I’ve fallen I love with random women on the subway too many times for you to feel anything for me but pity. Pity clouded with revulsion.”

“He spent twenty years building up the courage to ask her. When she said yes he almost died, but didn’t. He died instead as he said, “I do”.”

Conclusion: After initial confusion as to whether spaces count as characters or not (turns out they do), the previously mentioned numeric incompetence came into play. I really don't do numbers well...
All in all, I really enjoyed writing these. Again, the practicality of this subgenre stumps me (it's useful if you live your life in status updates, not useful if you don't), but then again, it is deceptively challenging and a nice exercise of brain power.  

No comments:

Post a Comment