Sunday, December 5, 2010

1. Six Word 



When I first saw this genre I thought, “Six words! Seriously? This is going to be simple!” As it turns out, it’s not. It’s really quite difficult. 
Six Word is exactly that, a story created with only six words, making it the very shortest of all sub-genres. Unlike the other sub-genres of the Short Fiction genre, Six Word stories aim to be poignant rather than have a twist ending. For example, Ernest Hemingway is said to have written: "For sale, baby shoes, never used." I didn’t come up with anything quite so poignant…

“He came, I saw, he bellowed,”
“She should have followed her heart.”
“His biggest mistake was trusting her."
“She hurt him because she could.”

Conclusion: Well, apparently I have trouble counting to six. Quite a few times I thought I had come up with something amazing, only to recount and find I had five words. My doubts as to the practicality of this genre aside, my numeric incompetence indicates that it’s not really for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment